Mark writes: This open space (often full of craft stalls) is where All Saints stood, opposite St. John's College. The old church had a tower that projected into the street, and stood on an arch to allow people to pass through it. Dowsing 'brake downe diverse superstitious pictures, and eighteen cherubims' here on New Years Day 1643. The whole building was pulled down in the 1860s and rebuilt opposite Jesus College. the new church has been redundant since the 1970s and was itself nearly demolished in the 1980s. It survived because is absolutely stuffed with the work of William Morris and his circle.
An entry on it will follow in due course.